Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Writing about not writing

Well, I stayed up late hoping that I'd think of something to blog about, and no dice. This was probably a bad call. My current criteria, which may be too strict:
  • Not work: I started blogging at all because I found myself only talking about work, and was afraid I was getting boring.
  • Don't use willpower: nothing that I feel like I'm forcing myself to write.
  • Not always introspective: doing too much of this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Strategies for coming up with posts in the future:
  • Write about the first thing I can think of: in this case, I had another introspection topic that I could have written on, but I didn't feel like doing another introspective post right this minute.
  • Write about work: I'd prefer to avoid this, but whatever I'd blog about would be different from my day-to-day work, and that might be nice.
  • Write about something I thought about a while ago: I have a few technical topics lying around that I could convert into blog posts quickly. The main blocker is that that doesn't sound very fun; if I've already done the thinking, then I'm just left with the hard part of expressing it.
  • Write about my past: for example, I used to be pretty into Buddhism; I could write about what that was like and what changed. Many other memoirish things could work.
  • Journal: I could write about things I've done recently, or about how I think life is going. Not super-appealing, but maybe I could figure out what's fun about it. (I was really bad at journaling when I was a kid, and I'm probably not great now, never having done it.)
  • Media reviews: books, movies, TV, etc.
  • Micro-posts: collect a few topics where I only have a few sentences to say.
Activities that might help generate ideas I'm actually excited about:
  • Watch TV or read a book.
  • Read a technical paper or go down the rabbit hole on some topic of interest.
  • Take a walk? (Feels un-promising, but based on experience this could work)
  • Talk to K about something, then write it down.
Particular topics that might work for tomorrow, though they don't sound that appealing to me right now:

Work:
  • Intelligence explosion
  • A concrete setting for MIRI's Löb problem
  • Different threads in AI safety
  • EA and x-risk / AI safety
Philosophical / technical / "intellectual":
  • Boltzmann brains
  • Natural selection or abiogenesis in Conway's game of life
  • Patient-centric ethics
  • Some philosophy of mind prompt from Luke
Other:
  • My recent vacation
  • Consequentialist vs expressive modes of being
  • Segments of a Dungeons and Dragons campaign
  • Music I've liked recently

No comments:

Post a Comment