Saturday, September 17, 2016

Response post #1

I've got a couple of great commenters, so I wanted to do a quick response post to encourage them to keep commenting (If they'd like to!). Aspirationally titled "Response post #1" -- we'll see if there's a #2.

Post: "Animal Rights"
Comment: here
I think I agree with all the premises of this article. And I think I agree on your categorization of rights as pragmatic. I don't think I agree that we should give animals rights. Buuut, I might have misunderstood, and I might be too stuck in my ways.
First, my understanding: if I'm reading it right, "animal rights" means, among other things, legally enforced veganism. Like, if we can't have animals as property, we probably definitely can't kill them for food, and it's hard to imagine how we could get a cow's agreement to give us milk. (correct me if I'm wrong.)
 Yeah, I agree that animal rights almost certainly mean we can't have them as property. I'm undecided on whether this actually means that you couldn't have an arrangement with a cow where you could get milk from them; we get labor from humans, after all, so there might be a legal arrangement where a cow could be "paid" (in nice living conditions, luxuries, etc?) to give milk. Obviously it's super-hard to do this, and might not be feasible (or oversight might be too expensive), but it's not obviously impossible to me.

Imagine that there was a service that could be performed only by people who weren't able to express themselves linguistically or understand language. I can imagine that an appointed guardian might be able to set up an employment situation that would work for everyone. However, this would be a lot more expensive than just, you know, owning the cows!

Breeding is another huge challenge -- it just doesn't seem likely to be acceptable.
(btw I realize "legally enforced veganism" would totally derail this conversation on many blogs; I'm hoping yours doesn't have the kind of readership that would do that)
Yeah :) Also, jumping suddenly to legally enforced veganism (or something very close to it) wouldn't work -- one of the big policy challenges would be avoiding a Prohibition-like reaction where production is pushed underground and the policy is reversed later anyway.
This seems a bit extreme if we actually just want to improve animal welfare. You can have laws around how you treat property, while it's still property. (I think?) Like, I can buy a car but I can't just drive it around wherever, or let my kid drive it, or ghost ride it. You've got to be responsible with cars (where "responsible" means a basket of things that not everyone agrees on); why not just work on defining the basket of responsibilities with animals?
Why not go all the way and do this with people as well? Welfare is what I really care about, so why not be libertarian and allow people to own other people (maybe only if it's mutually agreed upon), and define a basket of responsibilities for people-owners?

My answer, I think, is something like this:
  • "defining a basket of responsibilities" is a building-up process -- we have to manually add pretty much everything we care about.
  • "rights" are a way of dramatically limiting acceptable behaviors in one shot, and with lots of room for interpretation or refinement later by judges. We sort of know what a "right to freedom" means, or a "right to dignity", and we can later judge whether those things are violated through legal interpretation.
It seems to me like rights are more appropriate for people. It's very lucrative to own a person, and (unlike cars) the space of things you should or shouldn't be able to do with a person is very big, messy, and ill-defined. Also, we've societally decided that it's better to err on the side of restricting what people can do with people more rather than not enough. I think these arguments apply well to animals, as well.

The argument that "we can't legally protect animals effectively while they are property" is an old animal rights argument (see e.g. this, which refers to attempts to protect slaves' welfare without giving them the right to not be property), and I haven't done my homework on the debate over it, but it seems like a plausible argument to me.
On to your proposal of animal rights: How do you "represent" an animal in a decision? How can you represent a critter who can't ever communicate with? I guess you could get, say, a cow expert to tell you about all the things that make a cow's life better or worse. But again, we're in vegan world, so there probably wouldn't even be cow experts anymore. And we're far enough away from our current world that my instincts are probably not great moral judgment tools anymore. So, maybe I'm just too stuck in my ways.
I think this is a great point, and it might turn out that this is a thing we can't figure out how to do. I'm guessing there'll still be animal experts or cow experts, but that's totally a guess. If it turns out we can't get milk, my official answer is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

---

Post: Peak Experiences
Comment: here
Re. your concern about being too navel-gazey/introspective: it didn't feel that way at all for me, I really liked this post! I have a similar concern as a lot of what I write is very introspective, but I generally just try to make it clear I'm not suggesting my experiences necessarily generalise to others - just that they may be sufficiently similar to be interesting to others. Or I try to frame it more as "here's an experience of mine that made me think about a more general problem/thing, here are my thoughts on the more general thing." Regardless, this post made me think about my own peak experiences in a really useful way (and in a way I hadn't done before), so I don't think you're too much at risk of being overly navel-gazey yet! :) 
Thanks! That's reassuring, and a good suggestion. I think I'll replace my self-deprecating "me" tag with an "examined life" tag to counteract my bashfulness about introspection :)

3 comments:

  1. hey thanks for responding!

    If I understand, you're saying that for best welfare, people need ~700 units of freedoms, and so just agreeing on some human rights gets us up to ~600 right away. And if we had to add them one by one, it'd take us forever to get up that high and we might goof a lot more. And maybe animals deserve ~500 units, so let's just come up with some rights and that'll at least get us close, instead of starting from 0 and building up one by one. I don't know; I feel like animals need closer to 100 units, and starting with any "rights" at all is likely to get us to 300 and we can't really dial it back.

    "Imagine that there was a service that could be performed only by people who weren't able to express themselves linguistically or understand language. I can imagine that an appointed guardian might be able to set up an employment situation that would work for everyone." - like, this is kinda possible and we kinda do it, but not really. Say you're pretty high up (far?) on the autism spectrum and you can't talk or really express yourself verbally; generally your family or your caretaker or whoever can advocate for you and help you live a decent life. But I feel like we're kinda fudging that; we generally know what humans like, and we can kinda guide by whether that person is screaming angrily or smiling, so we do that and say "best we can do." (epistemic status: not at all certain; don't really know any people with a lot of autism or caregivers.)

    Something's frustrating me about all the ideas that we might advocate for cows and not own them. If they can't ever tell us what they want, how can we actually advocate for them? I'm picturing a cow expert (and, ok, there would definitely still be these, I retract that argument) saying "well cows really likes daily massages, so maybe we can milk this cow in exchange for massages." But that's just welfare and paternalism again; we're saying "we know what this cow wants, and we think milk for massages is a fair deal." Does the cow think so? How can we ever know? We've kinda gotta be paternal, which kinda means owning them.

    (Boy these comments are gonna look real bad in about 50 years when my grandkids are like "whaaa you used to own animals grandpa???")

    (I think you threw me a bone with "I think this is a great point, and it might turn out that this is a thing we can't figure out how to do." and maybe there's nothing left to say; I'm still talking b/c I don't feel like I've got it all figured out yet and I do so by typing it out :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rights probably get animals more than they need: my intuition runs opposite of yours (I think the right not to be owned is probably insufficient rather than overkill), but I think we'd have to have a more detailed conversation and maybe even gather some facts about the world (!) to figure that out. Requiring animal-owners to be heavily and continuously surveilled would probably get me roughly what I want, so maybe that's a more appropriate step than rights? If it did work, I'd be fine with it. (This is a problem with me taking a "rights are pragmatic" view; it really limits my ability to argue from the armchair instead of doing studies!)

      I think the question of extreme guardianship (paternalism) vs ownership is an interesting one. My snap guess is that the difference is that a guardian, no matter how extreme and paternal, shouldn't have incentives besides an animal's welfare for how it's treated, whereas an owner has other incentives (meat, milk, leather). An owner also has to pay the costs of keeping the animal, while a guardian shouldn't. But I think it'd be interesting to try to figure out what the real difference between guardianship and ownership is.

      On knowing what they want: concretely, I have colleagues who are just trying to figure out from looking at the literature things like whether and when fish feel how much pain. It's definitely still paternalism, but I guess I believe in benevolent paternalism being possible given the right incentives; maybe that's my youthful techno-optimism showing :)

      Delete
    2. (And I'm glad you're commenting / still typing if you want to! I won't respond if I don't want to, so no worries there :) Someone once told me "You can do whatever you want! Really!" and I think that extra-applies in personal blogs.)

      Delete