Tuesday, March 15, 2016

A "new" Magic: the Gathering format

The rules:
  • Put all your non-land cards in a big pile. (You can include lands with cool abilities in this pile.) This pile will be both players' decks.
  • Put all your lands in a big pile (face up so you can tell the difference). This is the land deck. Whenever a player does something to a deck, including drawing cards, they get to choose the land or the non-land deck. (This includes drawing your opening hand.)
  • All lands tap for any color of mana and have all basic land names and types. They basically count as any basic land all the time.
  • Players share a graveyard.
Why I like it:
  • Basically no setup
  • Minimal mana or color problems
  • Optimized for things happening during the game, rather than i.e. skillful play, deck-building interestingness
I expect that this will be my default way to play in the future; it's awesome!

I thought that playing with a shared deck of cards selected kind of at random was called "Wizard's Tower" (because of the tall shared deck), but it looks like I'm wrong; I vaguely recall a similar concept called "Mass Magic" or something, but a bit of Googling gives me nothing. Dan and I added the separate land deck after the first couple of games, but it turns out that there's a format with basically these rules called fat stack. The "every land counts as all basic lands" doesn't appear in any shared-deck formats that I found, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else thought of it first; it's pretty obvious.

I think I'll make my Star Wars card game (a project I haven't blogged about, but that I probably will blog about in the future) like this; it's a more streamlined experience, and realistically nobody's going to be building decks for my hobby game design project anyway :)

No comments:

Post a Comment